Finding the elect here in Milano has been a bit harder than the typical missionary would like. We have talked to SO many people since I first came here to Milano. My planner from last transfer was overflowing with names and phone numbers. And we've been calling people so much because now almost everyone is back from vacation and life is returning back to normal, but we've really been struggling getting progressing investigators. Sorina told us she didn't want to change and she didn't have an open heart to knowing if the Book of Mormon or the church was true, Stephen has vanished, Benedetta hadn't read the Book of Mormon for her 2 weeks of vacation, all the people we find that think could have potential we have to refer to the other Milano missionaries because they live outside our area (Atilio was one of these. An elect Peruvian man who accepted a baptismal invite on Saturday.), and we have had more bidoni in the last two weeks than my entire mission. Combined. Okay, maybe not. But almost every return appointment we set up with a new investigator, they don't come or call and cancel. I was feeling really discouraged on Saturday, because we had many more cancellations and none of our investigators said they were coming to church the next day. I have gotten 20 lessons every week on my mission for the last several months, so it's hard to not be seeing the promised blessings. Yet. But I have faith.
The giant ray of sunshine in my life right now is Stefania. Maybe I told you about Stefania about 6 weeks ago. We met Stefania and her fifteen year old son Luigi in the park my first week in Milano. When we first met her she said they had been talking about how Luigi couldn't feel the love of God and was having big questions about religion. We weren't able to see them before they left on their month long vacation, but I have been thinking of them often since we first met because there is something so special about them and about how we met them. Yesterday we met with Stefania. We talked about how that first meeting was so special. She told us that they had been in a moment of crisis and Luigi was asking questions about why he needed to believe in God and that he just felt so lost. She said it was as if they had just picked up the phone to call for help and then we were there. We had a very spiritual brief lesson where we explained that the Book of Mormon was the key to knowing if our message was true and she agreed to read it and to pray. We gave her the baptismal invite, and she didn't exactly accept it right off, but she understands that this is where it is leading to. She gets it! Finally someone who gets it! I have the strongest feeling that she and Luigi are elect. Luigi has exams right now so he's really busy, but we have an appointment with them on Sunday and we gave her a copy of the Book of Mormon for Luigi too. She also mentioned about how she didn't like how in her church there are just the priests and you just go and watch and listen, but she feels that church should be more of something you participate in and can ask questions and make comments. I said "Stefania! You HAVE to come to the church! I KNOW you would love it so much!" And she says she wants to give it a bit of time, but I know she's going to come and she will love it and I just love her and Luigi so much already. I can't stop thinking about them and how much this gospel will help them in their life. There is something so special about meeting with elect people. I felt more the spirit working through me yesterday in the park with Stefania than I have in a while. And I honestly believe it's because she is ready and has been prepared. I'm praying with all my heart for her and Luigi.
So, it's a really good time to be in Milano. They are splitting the stake next week! And we get to go to a conference with Russell M. Nelson of the Quorum of the twelve apostles! I'm so excited. It's going to be at a hotel here in Milano with the 5,000 members of the Milano stake! And then it will be split into two. So exciting!!! The church is growing so much here in Italy. The Milano stake consists of the three Milano wards, Pavia, Lodi, Como, Varese, Muggio, and I think Bergamo. If I'm not mistaken. But this is huge and I get to be here for it! So awesome. I'm really excited to tell Stefania she can come and see an apostle in Milano. How rare and awesome is that?!
The weather has taken a drastic change. It went from african heat wave to autumn rain and cold real quick. I had to unpack all of my cardigans and tights and my big blanket this last week. It's been cold and rainy! It makes finding work a bit more difficult, but it's nice. I like it. I much prefer the cold to the heat. Not so much the rain, because I have to go out and walk in it, but that's okay! I can handle it. We sing the mission hymn often while we're out in the rain... "Non ci stancheremo mai di servire il Signor! Servirem con grande fè dando tutto nostro cuor!" etc. etc. It's great.
Another problem we're having here in Milano right now is talking to people that seem really interested. Then we have return appointments and find out they don't have work, sometimes they are homeless, and they want help from us. I wish I could help them but all I can do is promise them that our message with help them better the quality of their lives because Jesus Christ and his teachings, the Gospel, will help them. But it's becoming more and more of a problem it seems. Especially as we are getting closer to the winter people seem more desperate. Pray for the people of Italy. Italy is in a period of crisis and we are really seeing the effects here.
Well I'm out of time. Love you all and thanks for the emails and love and prayers and support! Have a good week!
Sorella Forbes
No comments:
Post a Comment