His name is Deved. His dad is from Israel, mom from Greece. He grew up in Egypt, but is Christian. He speaks Arabic, Hebrew, Greek, and Italian. And some english. Non tanto.
He's getting baptized next Sunday. He is a miracle. And probably the most elect person I've ever met. Let me tell you how this came to be.
Deved is a member referral. (GIVE THE MISSIONARIES REFERRALS!) His member friend got an arabic Book of Mormon from us two weeks ago and gave it to him, then invited him to church, and he really likes to talk about God, so he figured "why not?" He came to church last week. We set up an appointment with him for Thursday. I called him Wednesday to confirm. These are his words (translated...) "Thank you! Thank you so much! I've been reading the Book of Mormon and I feel really good! I'm excited to see you tomorrow. Thanks so much for calling!"
We meet with him Thursday and teach him the Restoration. He eats it up! We had to clarify the word "prophet" for him because in the jewish religion I guess it is used with a negative connotation... we clarified. He ate it all up. I was talking about Christ's earthly ministry, and he went off on all his knowledge of Christ. He knows a LOT. Then I was about to jump in and bear testimony but he just looked at me and said "Sorella, this is me. This is a part of me. I've walked those streets. This is more a part of me probably than it is for you." haha Uh... wow. It was really cool. He is an israelite!
Anyway, he LOVED the story of Joseph Smith. He loves the church. We invited him to baptism. Yes. We give him a date for April 27th. The response? "Sorelle, can't I do it sooner? I feel good. I feel so good here in church, when I read, when I listen to you two teach...I feel good. I want to be baptized." So we said we'd talk about it the next time.
Next lesson we give him the 20th and teach him the Plan of Salvation. He was transfixed with my hideous drawings on the whiteboard but just couldn't stop saying how he knew it was true. He felt good. ("That's the spirit, Deved!") We briefly explained some of the commandments he had to be living before baptism and he committed. He was so excited to get an earlier date. Sunday he came to church and waved to me from the back row with his member friend as I stood up to bear my testimony.
Monday, we teach him the Gospel of Jesus Christ. At this point he's read to almost 2 Nephi in the Book of Mormon. We teach him the Gospel and he says a beautiful prayer at the end that he's so grateful for the Book of Mormon and for his baptism that will be sooner than we initially decided and that he feels so good and happy in church. We take him back to show him the baptismal font and explain how the baptism will go. It goes silent and he looks at me and says "Are you sure there's nothing sooner than the 20th?" Ah! So he leaves and we start thinking about what we can do. The members will be at the temple all next week until Saturday the 13th...we'd have to get the Anziani here this weekend to do interviews...has he been to church enough? Does he really have a testimony? So we knelt down to pray. I felt an overwhelming spirit say "He is ready."
So we call the branch president and set up for next Sunday the 14th after church. We met with Deved yesterday morning to clarify more commandments and see where his testimony is and again felt the confirmation he is ready. So, we presented the 14th to him and his face was SO happy. I wish I had it on film. It was like telling a kid he was going to Disneyland, only this was telling someone their entrance to the path to eternal life would come 6 days sooner. I felt so much joy with him. He's so excited! We're so excited!
And do you know who else is so excited? Enrico! Enrico is going to be baptized on the 14th with Deved. We planned the 20th to give him enough time to quit smoking, but he already quit a long time ago. So we prayed about him too and we feel he is ready as well. He was so happy when we told him. He is so wonderful! They will both be interviewed this weekend and we will go from there.
We are so happy here in Savona! The Lord is blessing us and we have never been so busy in this little city! I love it!
So many good things are happening and I wish I could tell you all, but we are happy and joyful and just loving our lives here on the sea.
Sorella Lopez is still super awesome. Adjusting is rough, but she is so tough. She is doing really well. I told her I was surprised that she didn't cry her first week and she was surprised to learn I was surprised (doesn't EVERYONE cry their first week?). We laugh a lot and it's really good. Even when it is raining and we are on our bikes... we laugh! What else is there to do? WE ARE HAPPY PEOPLE!
I love my life. I love being a missionary. I love the Lord. This is His work. How grateful I am to be a part of it.
Buona settimana!
Sorella Forbes
Sorella Forbes and Sorella Lopez during their first week of being companions.
The beautiful City by the Sea, Savona, Italy.
Joselyn, our member friend whom I love so dearly.
A cannon on the fort. ha.
No comments:
Post a Comment