04 July 2012

Junly 4, 2012 - CHE CALDO! (That hot!)

It is SOOO HOOOOOTTT!!! Let's talk about it for a minute. Sometimes I'm outside and I feel like I'm melting. In appointments with investigators, I frequently have to wipe the sweat drops that are falling into my eyes. Sorella Walton and I got to the church the other day and just laid on the cold tile floor in a small classroom with the AC blasting for a bit to cool down. A member told us on Monday while we were driving in her car that it was 99 degrees that day. That's not including the extra degrees that come with the humidity. It's so hooooottt!!! But we're dealing. We are being blessed because even though we are so hot, we still have the energy we need to go to and from appointments. It's still been a really good week. Despite the hot. 

I went on scambio to Bergamo! It was so great! I was with Sorella Simkins. She's a rockstar. She also speaks spanish, and we met with a member and her less active sister from Bolivia. Half of the lesson was in spanish. I understood, but I'd just have to respond in Italian. That was cool. Gift of tongues is real, people! Also at our training in Verona, the APs are really emphasizing the "awkward approach." That is instead of trying to make small talk with people or introducing yourself right off as you are contacting someone, you just jump right in to bearing testimony and/or asking a question. And it works! It's amazing! It really is SUPER awkward, but it gets people talking to you and it gives the Holy Ghost a better opportunity to bear testimony to them of the truths we bear testimony of. We got a lot of numbers and appointments with that approach. For example, we walked past two ragazzi hanging out on their scooters, Sorella Simkins says "wait, let's go back and talk to them." We turn back and come right around the corner and I said "I know God has a plan and this life is not without a purpose! According to you, what is the purpose of this life?" And they kind of sat there a little shocked for a second, but they responded back, we talked about it, and set up a return appointment. It's awesome! It's a miracle worker. Anyway, that was good times with Sorella Simkins in Bergamo. 

Ramat is still progressing. He told us this last week he knows God sent us to him, and mentioned how he wants to do what we are doing, preaching the Gospel and sharing God's love with people! (He's still within missionary age, so a definite possibility!) He is SO terrified of coming to church. We think he has a really hard time relating to other people. He's kind of a loner and doesn't really have any friends. I don't blame him with his past. Have I told you his story yet? NO! I haven't! Okay, brief version: When he was 12 the Taliban came to his house and killed his entire family, 6 brothers one sister 2 parents. He escaped not unharmed. Walked to Pakistan, to India, to Pakistan, to Iran, to Turkey, tried to swim to Greece, woke up in a hospital there, escaped because he thought they would send him back to Afghanistan, went to Athens, hopped on a ferry to Italy by climbing up under the axel of a car, held on until he arrived in Brindisi and then Bari, was caught by police, put in a refugee house, then when he turned 18 they put him in school, got him a job and all his documents, and now he lives in Porcia. All along this 5 year journey he child labored in a rug factory from 4 AM to midnight and all they'd give him was a piece of bread, escaped there and worked in a battery factory where he fell into a tub of battery acid up to his neck and somehow survived, was taken by Turkish police and starved and beaten for a number of days, escaped through a window, almost drowned... it is the most incredible story I have ever heard. We learn a little bit more every day. He came to the baptism on Saturday! He had never set foot in a church before! (except for the day before when the Jacobs came to a lesson with us, bore AMAZING testimonies in ITALIAN, then offered to take him to see the church when no one was there.) But yeah, he is terrified of people. He just stood on the outskirts and we tried to introduce him to people but he was super super shy. And then he didn't come to church on Sunday because we think he was scared. So that's going to be his obstacle he has to get over before he's baptized... but he's reading the Book of Mormon! In PERSIAN! We just happened to have one laying around our apartment. Miracle? Yes. I think so.

There was another baptism on Saturday! Remember Vincenza? The 19 year old amazing girl who told us she wanted to get baptized a few weeks ago? She got baptized on Saturday! And she was so happy! It was beautiful. Norman, her boyfriend, baptized her. They're already talking about a temple marriage someday. Happy times!

Francesco has a new baptismal date, after his birthday in August. Kind of sad because Sorella Walton will not be here, but it turns out it's kind of a good thing. We decided because he accepted everything so quickly this time will really be good for him to solidify his testimony and try his faith. He's still amazing though. He read all of the For Strength of Youth this last week. And annotated it. We love him.

We set up an appointment with a member referral for yesterday! She is the greatest! She had been coming to church for a while, reading the Book of Mormon, but was scared to meet with the missionaries. Sunday she came up and was asking me about fasting so we talked for a bit, then I just said "Well, Laura, can we see you sometime this week?" And she was like "Yes of course!" So yesterday we had an appointment with her. Her member friend came to the appointment. It was a really great Restoration lesson and she got everything. I asked her what she would do if all of this was true. She said she'd get baptized. We gave her the baptism invite (that's something we do on the first lesson. Our leaders tell us to do it, we do it!). She accepted. We felt we should present her with a date, so we did explaining that that would help her progress and prepare for baptism but this was all her decision and it would be up to her to act and to keep the commitments we leave her with. She said she'd pray about the date. This morning we got a call from her member friend saying she was scared and that we shouldn't ask to meet with her again until she is ready. So we're kind of confused. We texted her saying sorry if she felt forced but we were here as her guides to help her receive all the blessings her Heavenly Father wants for her. Anyway she responded saying she'd let us know when she received her answer and when she felt ready... that's fine I guess. Kind of a bummer, but succede. The member was also kind of freaking out when we gave her the baptismal invite. But hey, he's a future missionary and he will understand! So we'll have some damage control to do there a bit I think...

Monday night for FHE with the Americans we went to Barcis! (that's the picture with us in front of the lake). SO GORGEOUS! It reminded me a lot of Koningsee, up in the mountains, the super clear greenish-blue water, it was so awesome. And one of the member couples brought a referral! So great. We love our members. We're really excited because next week we are starting an italian class for the Americans. They are all super excited and going to bring all their friends. Referrals!!! So happy.

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!! I almost forgot. Today to celebrate, we went on the American Air Force base. That was a strange experience. Totally not what I expected. They have a golf course, a movie theater, a store that is like a mini Walmart... lots of fun stuff. The member couple that took us on bought us stuff so we can make enchiladas! We're excited. And we bought brown sugar! So exciting. I felt like I was in America. They're having fireworks there tonight. Kind of had a tiny sting of homesickness for me. But now we're back in Pordenone and being missionaries!!!

Next week is transfers!!! AAH! I always get a little nervous because you never really know what to expect. I will definitely be getting a new companion, but I think I will be staying here in Pordenone. I really think it would throw all our investigators for a shock if both me and Sorella Walton left. We will pray real hard... 

I love Sorella Walton! I'm so sad she's going home next week. I have learned so much from her and grown so much these last two transfers with her. She is going to do amazing things with her life. Goodness I just love her...

Really long email this week... sorry! I hope everyone is well! Stay cool in this summer heat! I'm loving my life here in Pordenone! Despite the heat! All is well!!!

Vi voglio bene!

Sorella Forbes



Vincenza was baptized by her boyfriend, Norman.



 Our last district meeting with Anziani Taggart and Nelson and the Sorelle

Monday night for FHE with the Americans we went to Barcis!  
SO GORGEOUS! It reminded me a lot of Koningsee, up in the mountains, 
the super clear greenish-blue water, it was so awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment