18 April 2012

April 18, 2012 Transfer Time: Arrivederci Cuneo! Buongiorno Pordenone!

Yes, it's true. I am being transferred. I am being sent on "special assignment" to Pordenone! There I will be in a trio with Sorelle Walton and Lloyd! I'm so excited! We kind of knew this was coming for a couple of weeks now, but now it's here and it's crazy! I am sad to be leaving Cuneo and all of the amazing people I've met here, but I know the Lord knows what He is doing. President told us two weeks ago he had the thought when we called him that one night after the weird experience, and I had had the feeling I wouldn't be in Cuneo much longer either, but it was confirmed on Saturday night. I found out Monday morning I'm going to Pordenone. The Anziani (Elders) will be returning to Cuneo. Some of the members were really sad when we told them. Haha. Sorelle are always best... just kidding...but really... I know that they will do amazing things here in Cuneo. We'll be giving them a kick start. We're leaving them with 5 baptismal dates we've set in the last week. And hopefully two more will be added to that tonight with two of our golden contacts we met on the street. They accepted the soft baptismal invite last Wednesday but we haven't been able to see them since because of work and they were out of town. But one is a red headed italian! Ha! They are an awesome couple that just got married in August.
Our baptismal dates are these: Yaya, a 24 year old from Burkina Faso. He's a member referral from Daniel, a new convert. He was raised Muslim, but he loves learning and talking about Jesus Christ. He didn't even understand what baptism was, but he felt like he should say yes! haha.
Then we have our Philipino couple, Vicky and Alex. They are such sweethearts.
Then there is Desmond, the man from Nigeria we found on the street Easter Eve. He is so golden! He wasn't at home when we had set up an appointment so we were worried, but he called us back like 3 times to say sorry he was at school and couldn't get away and that he wanted to see us tonight at 6. That never happens! Haha. And he came to church on Sunday and loved it.
Then there is Graziella. She's the woman that has been investigating the church for about 10 years, but both Sorella Willey and I felt this time she's really going to go through with the baptism. She is so sweet.
Anyway, The work in Cuneo these last couple of weeks has been amazing. Cuneo is sending off its Sorelle well. It has been pretty sad/hard to say goodbye to all the people I have come to know and love (Clara, my Italian grandma, cried a lot when we left. I'll always remember the image of her standing on her balcony waving goodbye as we rode our bikes away and hearing her yell "Ciao!!!"). But I'm excited for Pordenone. It's funny how I'm going from the furthest west our mission goes, to almost the furthest east. It's the furthest east the Sorelle go. I'm going to have a lot of train time tomorrow... yaaayyy...(have I told you I hate trains? haha not really) There is an American military base in Pordenone, so I hear we'll have a lot of english speakers. They have an english ward there I think. But Presidente also told me they have a brand new chapel that he says is the coolest church building in Italy (but only because the temple isn't built yet). We'll be on bikes again. I'm a little nervous yet anxious and excited to see how a trio is going to work. Look out Pordenone! 
We had an amazing zone conference at Milano last week. I love our mission! I always learn so much at those conferences, and our mission is only getting better and better! President challenged us to kneel down and say a companion prayer together every day right at 9:55, so now we have all the missionaries in all the North of Italy praying together at the same time. I have felt a strength from this that I can't even describe. I know that the work in northern Italy is going to explode these next couple of months. I love the Italy Milan mission!!!
A few words about my dear Sorella Willey: oh how I love her. I am going to miss her! And it's weird to think I won't see her for a year. But she has been such an example and a light for me these last three months. I have loved working with her and have learned so much from her. She truly is one of the most Christlike people I have ever met. She is so loving and kind and generous to everyone she meets. I have been so blessed to have her as my companion and trainer.
Sidenote: sometimes I forget I'm in Italy, but then I'm reminded when I'm studying and all of a sudden I hear an accordian right outside my window, and look out to see a man just walking down the middle of the street playing. Or when we're riding our bikes to church on Sunday and there are church bells everywhere going crazy. I love Italy.
I love this gospel and every day I am reminded of how blessed I am to have the knowledge that I have. I am so blessed to be a missionary for our Lord, and I know that this work is His. I would not be able to do it without His help. I'm constantly reminded of the quote from the Joseph Smith movie: "God calls us in our weakness, but he qualifies us for His work." It's so true! There is no way I could fulfill this calling I have been given without divine help. We see so many miracles every day and I am truly blessed. I am so grateful. I know that Christ is our Savior and Redeemer, the Son of God. Only He could fulfill the Atonement for us, and I am eternally grateful to Him.
I hope all is well on the home front! It seems everything is great.
Love you all! Buona Settimana!
Sorella Forbes

  Our giant easter egg. There are some much bigger than this, but this is what the
 Italians give for Easter. It's all chocolate and there is a prize in the middle. Haha.


Holding my first Easter Colomba. It's a delicious little cake thing shaped like a dove. 
Also an Italian Easter tradition.

  Shout out to Sorella Anna Thurston! 
(I don't know if you will even see this, but I thought I'd try anyway. :)) This little treasure found it's way to the apartment in Cuneo.
 I was so happy to see it! haha. Small world.

 Roccavione, Italy
 A member lives out there. It's beautiful! Up in the mountains. Dad would love it. 
 It was a bit rainy so you couldn't see the alps as well, but they're there! So gorgeous!

  Graziella and Elisa. 
Graziella is the woman we set the baptismal date with this last week,
 and Elisa is her daughter. A member.

Clara and Giuseppe. 
Clara was really sad. They love the Book of Mormon. I love them so!


 My Italian Grandma!
Here is a reminder about their story from a previous post:
Ho trovato la mia nonna italiana! (I found my Italian grandmother!) Let me tell you about Clara and Giuseppe. I love them. We met them while doing casa and Clara just kept saying "Siete bellissime! Bellissime!" (You are beautiful! Beautiful!) It was so great. And she kissed us a lot. Ha ha. But we went back and taught them the restoration. The lesson started out with Giuseppe saying how he thought it was so strange when someone old like they were (Clara is 85 and he is 82) changed religions, for so many reasons. But we pulled out the Book of Mormon and he was immediately hooked. He just stared at it, opened it up, looked at the pictures, started reading the title page and the introduction, and just held it in his hands for the rest of the lesson. We read Moroni 10:3-5 and he just said "Beautiful! I could read this in two afternoons!" He LOVES it! He wanted to give us something in return but we wouldn't take coffee so he gave us each our own 80 piece pack of these little toasts that the italians eat. haha! They gave us a referral, we invited them to church, he rode his bike there (unfortunately he was scared off before sacrament so he didn't stay...nother story that's coming) but he came! And I think he'll come back! We ran into him on the street on Sunday while doing casa and he had read from the title page through all the witnesses. And he loves the Book of Mormon! But when we left that lesson of the restoration Clara just said "La vostra nonna posso essere!" (Your grandmother can be!)  Our grandmother she can be! I loved it! So happy. And then they stand out on their balcony and just wave at us until we turn the corner. They're napolitani also so they talk really loud and I just love them so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment