28 November 2011

First Handwritten Letter

Family!
     I wanted to write you another letter because I ran out of time on the computer.  There were some things I wanted to tell you, but didn't have time for!
     First, my Branch Presidency is really great.  They're so involved and we see them often.  Brother Lamoureux reminds me of Patrick.  It's funny, but he also kind of scares me. Ha! Our Branch President, Brother Johnson, is really awesome.  He sat in on our District Meeting last night and had some really good insights.  Their wives are all so kind as well and never hesitate to give us hugs.  I love them all.
     We are in a branch with all the Italian Elders and the Portuguese Elders that haven't been able to get visa's yet.  They are all really great.
     We have been to some awesome meetings.  The first night we had a "teaching experience", we were split into groups of about 50 and rotated around to three different rooms.  In each room was an "investigator." We watched two Elders come in each time and talk to them a little bit, then they opened it up to the whole group to teach these people based on what we learned about them from the two Elder's discussion with them.  It was amazing to see how the spirit guides us to ask different questions and emphasize different things.  We could already feel it on that first night.
     Again, the spirit is so strong here!  I've never felt the spirit so strongly... I think I love it!
     Sunday was the best day ever.  Everybody kept telling us "just make it to Sunday", and they were right.  It was a nice breath of fresh air after the really rough first days here.  Music and The Spoken Word was amazing and beautiful, but cruel at times.  I was hit with homesickness real hard when they were showing different images of families.  I cried.  But, I looked around and everybody else was too. :)
     Relief Society was incredible.  Sister Esplin of the General Primary Board came and spoke and I cried again!  Someone should have told me I'd need tissues everywhere on Sundays!  I just love those meetings.  Sorella Clark and I were asked to say the prayers for the new Sisters meeting that followed.  I was nervous, but it went great.
     A few people I've seen while here:  Wendy Parker, she says hi.  Sister Brown, a friend of mom's.  I've seen Will West and Anna Thurston around.  Oh! Mom! I've run into some Temple Square missionaries and told them to look for you, Sister Lake was one and I can't remember the other ones.  Look out for them!
     I can't believe I made it through my first week!  It seemed like forever long, and there were a few moments of doubt, but after each lesson with Salvatore and each class with the amazing teachers, and the devotionals/firesides with all the amazing people, I know I can do this and my testimony grows stronger.
     We just got back from an AMAZING lesson with Fratello Bulloch.  We feel like we're on fire!  We talked about how the Doctrine of Christ and our purpose correlate.  Basically, he said, we are going to Italy to baptize.  Not to "plant some seeds", or make friends, or just help people become better.  We are going to baptize people because it has to be done and no one else can do it.  And he's right!  We are so incredibly lucky to know how we can receive a remission of our sins.  Good Christian people of other faiths can repent, but not completely.  They need to be baptized!  It kind of changes the perspective.
     Anyway...Nat and Tam!  Today I sat with three Elders going to Indiana and Columbus!  Nat, watch for Elder Jones and Elder Peck, and feed them!  Tam, Elder Culler.  They are the Elders in our districts roommates.  Really nice guys.
     Kaitie!  How's Deb and Carl?  I saw Elder Paulsen on Sunday...he says hi.  Miss you sister!  Send me an update!  How was Breaking Dawn?
     So, I'm finishing this letter on Thanksgiving.  We're waiting for the morning Devotional.  We have another one tonight, but we have no idea who's speaking!  They keep it a surprise until they walk in.  It's really exciting.  We'll have lunch (Thanksgiving Dinner) after this and then we'll have sack lunches for dinner. Ha.  We are also working on a humanitarian project.  What a great day!
     You wanted to know what my day is like.  Here is usually how it goes:  6:30 wake up, 7 personal study, 7:50 breakfast, 8:45 personal study, 9:30 class, 12:30 lunch, 1:30 gym time, 3 study time, 5:30 dinner, 6:30 class/teaching/language study, 9:30 back to residence, 10:15 quiet time, 10:30 lights out.  It's usually different everyday, but same activities, just scrambled differently.
        It's Russell M. Nelson!!!!  He just walked in!
Love you family!  Talk to you next week!
Kell/Sorella Forbes

PS On my address, change it to ITA-MIL 0124.  Were here for 10 weeks now, so the departure date is different.  I think it took me a few extra days to get some DearElders.  Tell Nat, Col, and Dad thanks for the DearElders.  I just got them last night.

PSS Don't expect to get responses to emails the same week.  I'll print them off so I can read them later 'cuz we don't have a lot of time on the computers.

PSSS  Elder Nelson says thank you to all the missionary families!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment